WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: unable to access web site embeds username & password

From: Noah Gray <NGray () worldrelief net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 22:34:17 -0400

I recently worked with an organization that had used this in some specific
cases for integration purposes. It was a CMS, complete with some inflexible
ISAPI filters that had mandaded the use of the embedded basic
authentication, of course over SSL.

Just to help you resign yourself to your new fate, we searched high and low,
and found NO way to support this functionality in IE browsers for a wide
audience. In the end, we worked with each and every party to switch to a
token-based system in the querystring.

In the end, it was a great chance to rethink our how our 3rd party
authentication worked. We were able to implement a system that could be
securely implemented without SSL, which is unheard of in the URL-embedded
basic system.

Believe me when I say that this is a must-upgrade situation. You have to use
some other way to authenticate these intranet users in IE.

Regards,

Noah Gray