WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Summary: Growing Bad Practice with Login Forms

From: "Yvan Boily" <yboily () seccuris com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:33:33 -0500

To play the devils advocate, how many people actually take this kind of
responsibility for other, far more critical matters?

Many people do not behave interactively in important situations because
everybody tends to specialize.  I freely admit that I could not fix my car
beyond changing fuses, changing oil and such, not because of ignorance, or
stupidity, but rather because I would prefer to spend my time researching AI
or some other more interesting topic than learning how to fasten two widgets
together with a gasket.  Does this mean I don't take my safety seriously
when driving?  I listen to my vehicle and pay attention for weird noises,
and get it serviced when it, or my mechanic tells me to.  Personally, I
would rather my doctor spend his time reading medical journals and improving
his knowledge so that he can catch whatever bizarre and rare disorder or
bacteria that affects me instead of puzzling over which button to click
where to attempt to understand if a connection is secure.  Specialization is
what has allowed us to develop the technology that we have all started to
take for granted.

Computer users have been trained to trust their computers by the industry
for the previous 20 years.  We have told them (and even though I am only 27
I include myself; I have been guilty of this when I was peddling custom
software as a teenager) that computers will help them work faster, more
efficiently, and safe time and money.  Also we have told them that storing
personal information on their computers is safe as long as there was a
backup (and it was until some gomer came up with the idea of connecting
everyone under the sun to the internet).  Now after two decades of this
behaviour we have to re-educate them to understand that personal information
needs to be protected, and that they need to actually understand what their
computer is doing.

When you compare this to the challenges presented to the security industry
by marketing and sales it is rather daunting.  You have a small group of
people saying "You need to learn more and work harder to make your system
more secure, and stop being such a stupid user" against an ocean of software
vendors, marketing teams, and profiteers saying "buy this magic bullet to
protect your information and stop evil hackers and viruses with no extra
effort".  People do not pick the marketing people because they are dumb,
they pick the marketing people because they are not being degraded, and they
are not being told that they have to do extra work.

I personally have no problem stomping on programmers when I am performing a
code audit, or flaming network engineers when I am assisting with a VA, but
only if they deny that security is an issue, or disagree (to the point of
ignorance or belligerence) with a perfectly valid assessment of a
vulnerability because it makes them look bad.  Don't stomp on users because
they have not chosen to specialize in understanding computer technology.
They could probably take you to the streets in their area of specialization
and think you are a chump for not understanding what seems basic or trivial
to them.

Regards,
Yvan