WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: ASP authentication

From: security () brimba nu
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:14:12 GMT

Hi! If you are protected against xss then using session shouldnt be any problem. My suggestion is that you create a requiredloginINC.asp and include that page on all the pages that require that the user has logged in. In that page you have a script like
<%
if not session("isLoggedIn") = true then
 'SEND TO LOGIN PAGE
 response.redirect "login.asp"
end if
%> and your login.asp sets the session("isLoggedIn") to true when you have verified the user. If you are verifying the user against a database please make sure you are protected against sql-injection. This is a pretty common way to secure pages using ASP. Another way could be secure them with IIS by not allowing anonymous access. What you do is that you create a couple of accounts on your server for your users and then you protect your pages or maybe a folder of anonymous access. Good luck ///Patrik Bénoni MARTIN writes:
Hi List, I am wondering what was the most secure way to allow users to access pages after authentication, i.e.: user authenticates in toto.asp, and after that, access is granted to tata_1.asp, tata_2.asp, ..., tata_n.asp. The trouble is obviously to ask the user once for his login / password (just in tot.asp), and to allow him to get to the other pages without asking each time his credentials.
Googling around, I saw a couple of ways to meet my needs, but all seem to be weak:
- I can set a hidden field where I can say "yes, he is authenticated" or "no, he is not", but anyone a little bit
skilled can create a fake request having this set up by hand (with a proxy ! ),
- I can check a session number or smth like that on each page...but this does not seem very reliable,
- I can check IP adress...but when you use AOL for instance, IP adresses can change ! So none of the ways I found seem to be the best... Cheers list, for any reply / clue !