WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: key storage

From: "Roman Fail" <rfail () posportal com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 06:42:53 -0700

Wouldn't it be a better practice to have all the encryption/decryption occur on the proxy machine itself?  Since he
does not have control over the webserver he does not know how well hardened it is.  He can harden the proxy himself and
the key never leaves the proxy machine.  If the webserver is compromised, at worst the attacker can encrypt/decrypt
until discovered but never determines the key.  Of course this is largely predicated on a decent connection speed
between the two servers since the actual data must be transmitted (securely) rather than just the key.

On another note, how should the webserver authenticate itself to the proxy (especially if unattended)?  I have Googled
extensively for best practices in this scenario and come up with lots of vendor fluff but little hard information.

Roman Fail