WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Encrypted storage

From: Ido Rosen <ido () cs uchicago edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 02:53:54 -0400

I encrypt session data on disk/database with a symmetric key (shared
secret) stored on the web server (hard coded into the web app usually),
that way a database breach doesn't put session data at risk.  As for
other database data, it really depends on the use you are searching for:
do you want to do full text searches on the data?  Can your indices be
unencrypted?  There are many variables to consider when weighing the
option, not just the straightforward CPU overhead of encryption.

Ido

On 8 Sep 2004 20:38:53 -0000