WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Encrypted storage

From: Martin Sarsale <martin () emepe3 net>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 12:39:33 -0300

I found this, some months ago

A Database Encryption Solution That Is Protecting Against External And
Internal Threats, And Meeting Regulatory Requirements
http://www.net-security.org/article.php?id=715

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 17:38, Jeffrey Koniszewski wrote:
I was wondering (because customers have asked me) whether anyone is configuring their database to store all
information encrypted. Databases have this capability but the overhead can be so heavy that vendors don't recommend
using it generically. Also, if most of the data is not sensitive it is a lot of work to protect small amounts of
data. Is anyone aware of someone using this capability? Under what circumstances? What's the performance hit? What
other gotchas? How about encrypted communication to the DB from the app server?