WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Problems with IIS

From: "Stan Guzik" <SGuzik () ImmediaTech com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 08:55:53 -0400

These symptoms also seem like application issues.  In component services find the dll host that is taking up the 950mb
of memory.  Then click on the Status view to see how many components are activated.  If this number is about <= 1,000
then you're probably not under a DDOS attach and it's an application issue.

If this number is extremely high you may be under attach or you have a poorly written application.  I my experience a
well written application like your should only take about 50mb of memory.

Also check the IIS and ASP performance counters.  Check your ASP request queue.  If it is high you may be running into
blocking.  The blocking may occur because of the SQL queries are taking a long time.  Therefore also look for
locking/blocking on the ms-sql server.

In addition to checking the application, check your network usage patterns.  If the usage patters have not changed in
the past few months then its most like an app issue.  If you see high network traffic when the CPU and memory jump then
you may be under attach.