WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Hacking/security in main-stream media

From: "Levenglick, Jeff" <JLevenglick () fhlbatl com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:19:09 -0400

'Matrix: Reloaded'

Most realistic hack trick in a movie

Quote from www.nmap.org -

"Trinity is as smart as she is seductive! She whips out
Nmap (!!!), scans her target, finds 22/tcp open, and proceeds with an
über ssh technique!"
" She whips out Nmap version 2.54BETA25, uses it to find a vulnerable SSH server, and then proceeds to exploit it using
the SSH1 CRC32 exploit from 2001."

The only thing wrong was the date.

"Below is an interesting email related to timing. Note that this screen shot shows that Trinity is using Nmap version
2.54BETA25, which was released on June 4, 2001. The next version (2.54BETA26) was released on July 9. The vulnerability
she seems to be exploiting was released on February 8, 2001.