WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: IE "refresh" method.

From: Peter Conrad <conrad () tivano de>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:32:40 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 04:32:00PM -0500, Jason_D_Norman () Dell com wrote:
We have a strange behavior being noted on a web app.  Within IE (version
6 patched to within an inch of it's life, on Windows XP), we have a page
loaded that has a session timeout (via a Java method).  The session
timeout is set to, say, 5 minutes.

I suppose the session timeout is handled on the server side? What kind of
a web application do you have? Java Servlets? ASP?

After 6 minutes, if a user refreshes the page using either our "refresh"
button on the page (which uses 'java.document.location.reload(true)'),
or if the user uses F5 to refresh the page, the session timeout is
invoked and the user is redirected to the login page.

However, if the user presses the refresh / reload button in the toolbar,
the page refreshes....no timeout occurs....and the session timer re-sets
to 0, as though the user just clicked thru from an authenticated page.

If the timeout is handled on the server, it doesn't matter what kind of
button you press on the client. In that case the only sensible assumption
is that pressing "Reload" in fact creates a new session, possibly be
re-submitting a login form or sth like that.

Bye,
        Peter
--
Peter Conrad                        Tel: +49 6102 / 80 99 072
[ t]ivano Software GmbH             Fax: +49 6102 / 80 99 071

Germany