WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Code Complexity vs. Security

From: Suha Demir CAN <sdcan () gsu linux org tr>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 19:18:39 +0300 (EEST)

The authors state that (paraphrasing):

"estimates are anywhere between 5 to 50 bugs per KLOC (thousand lines of
code) in that book. The numbers corresponding to a system that has
undergone rigourous quality assurance and a system that has only been
feature tested, like most commercial software."

they also include LOC counts for some software systems, Windows XP (40M),
Space Station (40M), Linux (1,5M), Windows95 (<5M) etc

I cant think of any code complexity metrics other than loc, and even that
isnt most satisfying.  Can anyone think of any general one ?

IMHO, it wouldnt be wrong to think more locs more bugs, as a general
guideline. The number and nature of entry points to the program can also
have a value in determining the risk level the software is exposed to.

Suha Demir Can
"When the game is over, the king and the pawn go in the same box"
w(---) !0 M-(+) !V PS+ PE- Y+ PGP t- 5? X-(+) R+(+++) tv b++ DI D+ G++