WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Web Attack Data - Apache

From: richardw <richardw () area52 allserve net>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 22:55:29 -0500

I was thinking the along the same lines. If you had an in-house cgi or other type of web application that you wrote, and you knew it was vulnerable, would you fix the code or write an IDS rule to see if anyone is exploiting it? It's obvious to me that you would fix the vulnerability.

In addition, IDSs and sniffers only log attempts of known vulnerabilities - they have no way of knowing if the attack is successful.

Ryan, what are you trying to do with this data, if it existed? Write IDS rules? Research for a project? If you could expand a little bit, maybe we could be more helpful?

Ido Rosen wrote:
A successful attack leaves no trace.