WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Web Attack Data - Apache

From: windo () windowlicker dyn ee
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:40:16 +0300

Hi.

I was thinking the along the same lines. If you had an in-house cgi or
other type of web application that you wrote, and you knew it was
vulnerable, would you fix the code or write an IDS rule to see if anyone
is exploiting it? It's obvious to me that you would fix the vulnerability.

In addition, IDSs and sniffers only log attempts of known
vulnerabilities - they have no way of knowing if the attack is successful.

Running honeypots can give that sort of data. I've been wanting to do it
for some time but haven't really gotten around to, but there are a lot
of people who have, and be willing to share that data, for educational
purposes. at least i presume so.

check out http://www.honeynet.org/ for starters.

Siim Põder