WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: An Open Letter (and Challenge) to the Application Security Consortium

From: <ban.marketing.bs () hushmail com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 18:19:23 -0800

Fair call but isn't it also about time someone called BS on your
members for the shiny red button marketing of app scanners?

Point them at WebGoat, WebMaven, Hacme Bank and they all fail
miserably. (Note they all pass their in-house written canned test
apps though). I want to see some real test results for these
things. My results show less that 1 in 10 issues in the real world.
Thats horrible.

I say good for OWASP for sticking up for the masses and calling BS
where they see it. Please make sure you cover app scanners as well!

Some people may have been under the impression that this letter was

directed towards the "Web Application Security Consortium" (WASC)
http://www.webappsec.org.  To clarify, I believe this letter was
meant
for ANOTHER group including F5, Imperva, NetContinuum, and Teros.
Specifically a challenge they sent to Check Point, Cisco, Juniper,

McAfee and Symantec. Many industry acronyms are very close.

Reference the following URL's for background.

The press release found here:
https://www.netcontinuum.com/newsroom/pressReleaseItem.cfm?uid=42

further industry coverage here:
http://news.com.com/Group+aims+to+create+hallmark+of+security/2100-

1029_3-5443154.html

and here:
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041109/sftu090_1.html

Regards,

Jeremiah Grossman

On Monday, November 15, 2004, at 07:34  PM, The OWASP Project