WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: (ip validation) Whitepaper "SESSION RIDING - A Widespread Vulnerability in Today's Web Applications"

From: "Evans, Arian" <Arian.Evans () fishnetsecurity com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:22:08 -0600

The attacker didn't create the session though. Sverre is right.

That's why "session riding" requires getting the user to execute
arbitrary code or actions through the vehicles of phishing, luring,
or social engineering. If the attacker had created the session
a priori there wouldn't be a valid user session to be "riding".

Perhaps though you bring up another important aspect we have not
looked at: What if an attacker creates a known bad/poisoned session
and then hands that off to the user, perhaps by swaping their
good session cookie for the bad session cookie?

We could write a whole new whitepaper on this. Thoughts on names?

"Session Swapping" has illiteration, however, I am more fond of:

"Session Castling". It sounds a lot cooler and ensures one's clients
stay confused as to exactly what the heck you're really talking about.

Other options for naming abound; I'm open to suggestions:
http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=swap

Arian