WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Proposal to anti-phishing

From: "Lyal Collins" <lyal.collins () key2it com au>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:23:26 +1100

USB and indeed all plugin tokens are susceptable to keystroke monitoring IF
the device doesn't have a keypad and display on the device.
If the password/PIN is ever sniffed, then any malware of the host PC can
simulate the human to whom the device is registered, and enact transactions
to the benefit of the attacker without the genuine user ever being able to
repudiate the false transactions under this security/authentication model
(to the bank, device = genuine transaction, period).

Putting keypads and displays can makes the the devices more or less
customised to the issuing bank. If there is downloadable updates or content
of any form, there is the real risk of breaking the device's security model.
Certainly, PSCS isn't any good where keypads or displays are used, while
STIP may help a bit.

Even with displays/keypads on devices, the user still can't be sure that the
transaciton their device 'signs' is actually the transaciton they want to
do.
If you think about it, 'secure devices' only work when they can do the
entire transaction, from conneciton to the Bank, selection and input of
transaction, and commitment for completion.

The devices used today are called PCs and workstations - they just aren't
secure.  Secure PCs would answer all these problems - but we are never
likely to get them

Even so, the user education cycle is long (how long did it take for ATMs to
be widely accepted?) and there are still no guarantees.

In short, so called security devices merely delay the inevitable
sophistication of attacks, by a few days in the worst case, weeks or maybe
months if we are real lucky.

In the meantime, live with risk.

Lyal