WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: (smart cards) Proposal to anti-phishing

From: "Evans, Arian" <Arian.Evans () fishnetsecurity com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:45:17 -0600

Rogan,

Well, it is possible for a single token to contain multiple
certificates/private keys, so it does not HAVE to lead to
proliferation.
And of course, a number of banks are issuing smart card based credit
cards and debit cards. I wonder how big a leap it would be
for the banks
to include a private key on the card, too.

Smart cards, I think, are one of the most realistic answers for
the future. Either unique cards (and for banks the credit or debit
card is the perfect unique vehicle) or "national smart cards" which
like it or not, I suspect we'll be using someday for medical info,
fighting the war or terror, and enabling the fine folks at FinCEN
further correlation capabilities regarding the spending habits of
private citizens.

I am not sure how far smart cards have come in Europe in the last
year, but they're not present in the US right now. (please enlighten
me on the status of universal smart cards for those of you outside
the US...)

Your other excellent comments are inline for those that missed them,

-ae

Then, with a smart card reader, which will become ubiquitous
as more and
more banks start using this technique, you simply plug in your credit
card, and you are authenticated.

It should even be possible to enforce good password controls in the
smart card, such as limiting the number of retries, enforcing
a password
length, etc. Password reset could possibly even be handled by
the ATM's,
if they have access to a PUK.

I would like to think that people would not leave their
credit cards in
the slot when they are finished, as they asociate the credit
card with
physical security (keep it with me).

The information transmitted in this e-mail is intended only for the addressee and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material.
Any interception, review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of, or taking of any action upon this information
by persons or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited by law and may subject them to criminal or civil liability. If you
received this communication
in error, please contact us immediately at 816.421.6611, and delete the communication from any computer or network
system.