WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Smart card proposal

From: Rishi Pande <rishi.pande () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:42:03 -0500

I like Rogan's solution. But, I think by putting these card-readers at internet cafes (a rarity in my town - and I stay about an hour away from NYC) you are basically circumventing the solution that online banking offers- ease of use - it's 4 am let me go and check my bank account. What you are proposing is no different from installing more and more ATM centers where you are sure of the security of the hardware. Also imagine the help desk calls that the banks will get if this does go into place. Not sure about the banks at your end but most banks in the US are not too much into the business of becoming help-desks. I do like the direction that this discussion is taking though. We may just hit upon something that will turn out to be the best. On another note, is anyone following this discussion going to the OWASP meet in NY tomorrow? IT may be worth our while to sit and talk about it for a bit.
        Just my $0.02
                Rishi