WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Smart card proposal

From: "Lyal Collins" <lyal.collins () key2it com au>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:34:11 +1100

IMHO, the security issues of 'web sites communicating with tokens' are
poorly addressed.

If the site is hacker controlled (the main page site, advertising, image
sources etc), then anything can happen, good or bad.  While we want to good
to occur, the bad is just as important to control
Tokens effectively have a 'power of attorney' over one's authenticated
services.
Being realtively, dumb, they follow a few simple rules to generate output
that commits the human to the consequences of the input.

Human-mediated input/output, and indeed control over the 'power of attorney'
processing is severely lacking in the products available today.  No
solutions appear to provide strong, ongoing control by the user of how, when
and why the device is used to authenticate/encrypt transaction related
content.

A refocussing on products that address business and user needs is necessary.
I fear that most infrastructure and products in this space is too insecure
or dumb to actually do any of the necessary  human mediated secure
communication and authentication

Lyal