WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: [tool] Guardian () JUMPERZ NET : Detecting session hijack

From: "Ofer Shezaf" <Ofer.Shezaf () breach com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 20:40:49 -0500

Hi Kanatoko,

While I really love open source projects, I think that they have their
limits.

Only a small number of open source projects that require signatures have
succeeded in creating a useful solution, good examples of those are
Snort, Nessus and NMAP. The problem with Guardian is that it a signature
based machine without signatures.

Unfortunately application layer signatures are much more complex than
network layer signatures and no public database of them is available,
thus making tools like mod_security or Guardian difficult to use.

Additionally the web applications world seems to be much to complex for
simple models.

Being more specific to the new sessions plug-in:

The plug-in tries to correlate multiple session identifiers in order to
detect a breach. In this case IP addressed, cookie session IDs and user
agent headers. A mis-match between the session identifiers will result
in an alert.

Unfortunately IP addresses are a very unreliable way to follow sessions,
as you write in the section about real world cases. To make things worse
AOL, the biggest ISP in the US use multiple gateways for the same user.
IP reusing will also generate many false positives, and on top of that
multiple windows on the same machine may also issue alerts.

And to make things event more complex, half of the sessions our there
are not cookie based at all.... jsessionid is usually used as a query
parameters, while other technologies re-write the URL to maintain
sessions.

~ Ofer

Ofer Shezaf
CTO, Breach Security