WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: How to list all the URLs on a web server

From: <michaelsilk () gmail com>
Date: 8 Jan 2005 10:02:11 -0000

Hi,

  The main problem with linkable filenames like that is not that they are easily guessable, but that they are
predictable from previous information.

  Basically, if you can guess a future filename from a previous one, or an employee in the company can guess filenames
based on the "algorithm" (i.e. date?, etc) then you have a problem.

  The request to prove that it can be guessed should be approached in this manner. It's not really practical to guess
the filename unless you can restrict the the possible names in some fashion - figure out how to do this and then you
can prove something :)

  As for a tool to view all URLS (you mean files) on a webserver - no, it's not possible unless the server provides
some means to do it (i.e. enabled "directory browsing" in iis, etc). And typically this will be disabled.

-- Michael

Hi Everyone,

I am auditing a system where files are stored on a web server and
accessed without authentication directly by an application that knows
each file URL.  I don't like it but the app owner wants me to
demonstrate that someone could guess the URLs.  I have tried a number
of spider tools but they are based on links so they don't pull up
anything.

I am wondering if there is a tool or another method where I could find
out all the URLs on the web site.   The funny thing is I saw this same
kind of system with the same explanation just the other week at another
company.  Maybe its a new trend...

Regards,
sakaba