WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: ISA Server and SQL Injection

From: "Marty Block" <marty () kesem net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:55:55 -0500

Hey there,
When you analyze the I/O of even a heinously complex system, you can
identify the data entry points fairly easily and completely. Since you need
only protect input data (assuming no other security issues like directories
set to all public access etc...) it turns out to be a trivial task to scrub
the input statement for things like "%20cmd.exe%20..." as well as 'select'
or 'drop' or 'sp_' in either hex or regular char format. We've built some
pretty robust inpout checking for cold fusion code that seems to work, and
by using the same code over and over, we seem to build reliable data entry
modules.

Now that I've said this, the data gods will strike me with lightning, but
even in big shops (I've done a couple of 200+ developers jobs in 25 years)
it's standardization of specific items like this that tend to allow you to
focus on task, and not have to be the security expert every time. This is
not a soapbox for re-usable code per se - nor to squash creativity, but it
is more reliable to develop 12 or 15 input routines that scrub input and re
use them, than it is to reinvent the wheel every day.

Security appliances are good but imperfect. They have a place, for sure. If
your e-commerce form is generating data input by plunking down variables
that are supposedly generated by your own database of items, it is foolproof
to compare the input stream with what's expected, and to puke out the
unexpected. You have the ability to compare what 'should be' with 'what is'
; you know what you expect. You also know what you'd NEVER allow. That kind
of logic, once written is easy to standardize, and is much better than high
horsepower device that looks for stuff that's not related to your
application, and costs a ton of cash to buy and update. I'd rather put more
$$ into bandwidth and servers than appliances.

My .02

Marty Block
Kesem.net