WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Automagic webapp testing tools

From: "Evans, Arian" <Arian.Evans () fishnetsecurity com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:35:58 -0600

1. There will be a resource launched on www.owasp.org the first week
of April on this subject.

2. Marketing hype and dishonesty is staggering in the webappsec space.

Personally I think this is more due to a mix of ignorance and well-meaning
incompetence than some subtle sales malice, but that's irrelevant to the facts.

3. Lots of value in these automation tools *if* and *where* they work.

4. No substitute for manual testing.

5. I finished an assessment for one of the largest banks in the US and they
told me my 100+ page hand written analysis of 40-some issues was "comparable"
to the competitor that gave them 300 pages of AppScan bull****.

Printed straight out of the tool. OH-NO, robots.txt again!

6. I delight in asking vendors to explain how to exploit XST (webappscanner,
traditional vuln scanners, web app testers, whoever) and while half the time
they can't even give an attack scenario it's even better when they do and
I ask "now why would anyone do that if those preconditions are true?".

:)

-ae