WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Cookie stealing and replay in a corporate single sign on environment

From: "Cyrill Osterwalder" <cyrill.osterwalder () seclutions com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:38:47 +0200

Hello Ivan

The only solution where I can see this approach working (for SSO
deployments) is where a reverse proxy is used to terminate SSL and map
all the web servers into a single domain space at the same time.

Yes, you are perfectly right. Thanks for clarifying this issue that I did not
mention. It involves a secure reverse proxy or also so-called application
security gateway component in front of the Web servers. This component would
terminate SSL and map the real application sessions to one secure session. I
believe this approach is a good idea anyway for doing authentication
enforcement and overall filtering in SSO deployments. It enables SSL based
session tracking and protection for all Web application sessions behind it.

If there is no authentication enforcement unit in front of the SSO Web
servers it is potentially possible to exploit vulnerabilities of those
without being authenticated. We have already seen this a couple times out
there ;-)

Best regards,

Cyrill Osterwalder

Chief Technology Officer