WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Cookie stealing and replay in a corporate single sign on environment

From: "Willard Fernortner" <fernortner () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:34:32 -0400

Irene,

I think you missed my point about SSL not being able to protect SSO cookies. I'm really not concerned about someone stealing cookies by sniffing network traffic (which is what SSL would protect), but rather I'm concerned that Cross Site Scripting flaws can be used to steal cookies EVEN when SSL is used. SSL simply cannot stop cookie stealing via Cross Site Scripting... it only ensures that nobody can see the exploit as it travels through the SSL tunnel.

WF