WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Should login pages be protected by SSL?

From: "Flanagan, Kevin" <Kevin.Flanagan () bmwfs com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 13:23:45 -0400

Hope I've made it past the deadline for this post getting cut off.

Everyone has been addressing this from an encryption standpoint, but what
haven't seen brought up is the fact that SSL is also providing
authentication of the web server.  By "securing" that login page using SSL
and certificates, the web server is proving to you that it is who it says it
is.   If you go to amazon.com and the cert is issued for amazon.com, you
won't get any cert warnings, and you'll get a nice little lock at the bottom
of your page.

If you are going to 10.0.0.2 and the cert is for amazon.com, you'll get a
cert warning (Grandma will typically click through this, but I on the other
hand will look a little deeper).

This helps smart people feel secure in that they are not being phished.  If
you wait until after someone puts their credentials in and clicks the login
button, it may be too late.  Your password could be compromised (unless you
view the source to figure out where your post is going to).

SSL provides authentication of the web server AND encryption.  A two for one
deal if you will...

-Kevin