WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Should login pages be protected by SSL?

From: "Michael Tsentsarevsky" <michael.t () zahav net il>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 16:46:22 +0300

There are a few other considerations:

1. I am sorry to say, but the SSL protocol had become a "security stamp"
for a web site. That is' if the site's owner had spent the 2k bucks for
a certificate, most of the users will think the web site is "secured"
(talk about users education). In real life nothing is farther from the
truth!
SSL secured sites are leaking user and company information and SSL is
not the element to protect against it. Good coding and proper site
configuration and architecture are the key for E-commerce security. How
many information exposures you know that was caused by sniffing the
user's credentials over the net? Now, how many was caused by SQL
injection, XSS and other security weaknesses? SSL is the fig leaf; bad
written sites are using to cover their nudity, nothing more.

2. IDS are network security devices that can intercept hackers that are
trying to manipulate data on a web site (sometimes at least). Using SSL
will render the IDS useless, because it will not be able to intercept
hacking patterns against the site - as the data will be encrypted. That
will enable the hacker to do his bidding without fear.

3. SSL was designed to protect the CLIENT by providing a strong identity
of the server. But ... most of the users are not familiar with the
concepts of PKI and will override the browser's alerts by pressing "Yes"
every time the browser is trying to tell them there is a problem with a
site.

Using SSL is sometimes good, but not in all cases.