WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: webapp dependencies

From: victor calzado <vcalzado () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:37:28 +0200

Hi,

On 4/14/05, Scovetta Labs <security () scovettalabs com> wrote:
Don,
    I'm sure something exists (or could be written easily in Perl) to scan all
content for local href links and find unreferenced content.

I used to use checkbot  and any log analyzer to chek for dead links and errors:

http://degraaff.org/checkbot/

Anyway as Michael said there's a lot of tools like checkbot and It's
been a lot time since the last time I ran checkbot so maybe it's
better you choose the URL/Web link checker yourself from freshmeat
Link Checking category, rating, vitality and popularity could help you
to choose:

http://freshmeat.net/browse/244

Hope that helps,
Victor

However, you might
miss something, all you need is a script that says:
<script>
  var x = prompt('enter a resource name');
  window.location.href='http://server/&apos; + x;
</script>

...and then the client has control over what resources to access. (Not to
mention the countless other ways that resources wouldn't be known until runtime).

The other way to do it would be to go through your web server access logs and
determine all of the files that don't appear in it. You'd probably want to go
back quite a while.

Hope that helps--

-Mike

Jarmon, Don R wrote:
I looking for a tool that will analysis content hosted on a web site,
identify all the webapp dependencies, and report on any non-essential
content.  The tool would run from the server.  Does such a tool exist?

--
Michael Scovetta
Scovetta Labs