WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Publishing Web Based Application via ICA protocol

From: "Evans, Arian" <Arian.Evans () fishnetsecurity com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:25:14 -0500

Saqib,

I am of the opinion that it is almost impossible to
provide a secure multi-user environment on Windows.

The zero-day for terminal services that will be out
soon will likely re-enforce this. Hard to have a
buffer overflow in HTML. :)

There's an old checklist for "hacking citrix" out
there that's still sort of applicable. There's also
someone else on this list that can make a short
naughty list and post it if they are so inclined
to chime in on this thread...

With GPOs/LPOs you have a lot of control over locking
down IE's widgets which is good, so it's better than
some fat clients, but the horror of all the things
that IE can do, not to mention the ICA protocol itself,
concerns me highly.

At the very least I'd want rigorous binary auditing
tripwire style and probably something like CSA for
executable and process control.

What data is so important you can't have it cached?

The risk of exposing a windows desktop, especially
one with lots of users, may be worse,

-ae