WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Publishing Web Based Application via ICA protocol

From: "Welsh, Ed" <Ed.Welsh () fishnetsecurity com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:23:58 -0500

Having just come off an assessment of a Citrix based application, I can say first hand that there are
significant challenges to properly configuring the Citrix host system.

You will need to lock down all file permissions.  Remember your context menus(right click).  A
security policy or GPO will be needed to remove that option.  The "Save as" dialogue from IE (or IE
itself) can be used to browse the host and any networks it has access to and can also be used to move,
delete, etc...

Remember that Citrix can allow a mapping of the local C: drive to a drive letter on the Citrix host.
This will allow the user to copy from their local drive very easily.  It is a good way to get viruses
or keyloggers or trojans.

Quite often simply browsing to and double clicking the explorer.exe binary from a "Save" or "Save as"
dialogue will give a complete desktop even if IE was the only published application.

My personal opinion is that a well executed web application is more secure than anything Citrix based.
In my case the client needed to make a fat client application web accessible and used Citrix to do it.
If you are simply publishing a web URL to be run in IE, it might be better off as a well secured web
front-end using high bit level SSL and some two factor authentication.

By using Citrix you are accepting the users as part of your organization and treating them in a way
similar to that of internal users.

EW