WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: Article - A solution to phishing

From: <bluewizard83-de4gahsh () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:18:11 -0700 (PDT)

I am trying to understand how this works and makes things more secure
perhaps you can assist me.

At their demo I seem seems that it works like this.

-At a form a user enters their username, then submits the form.

-At the next for a user types their password.  If the graphic gets
converted into something readable the site is real.

So my first concern is that it seems that in step one you give the
username, in the next step.  In the seperation of the steps aren't you
revealing that an account exists on your system before the user has
actually logged in.  In high security system I thought the best
practice was to only report 'bad password' or bad username/password' so
that a hacker would never know they found a valid account.

In the second step in the demo I typed in my password.  After my
password was entered the image resolved into something readable.  How
do I know that the site was 'real' before I started my password, and
not just a site with an image that changes every time the password
field is changed?

Still it seems this technology depends on the user knowing they
shouldn't enter their password unless that image thing is present.
Users continue to give passwords away when there isn't a 'SSL padalock'
present, and they don't look at the location bar to verify that they
are at the correct UNC.  I am curious how effective this will be when
it just seems to add another thing that you are expected the user to
verify before they try and login.

I think I must have completely missunderstand how this is supposed to
work.  Can you me a more real example of how this software would
guarantee that a site is real before a user provides them with any
personal information?

Oh also it isn't entirely true to say it requires no client software,
it requires java and a fairly current browser.  I usually run my
browser with Java disabled.

Chris

--- jcjhilvfgvqcf () mailinator com wrote:

I have found a product that looks better then passmark.

It is called ACUTrust (www.acutrust.com) and it uses a visualized
token to authenticate the website.  it does not use cookies and does
not require any client based software.  I also think that this would
help a non technical person identify the sight.