WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Re: Article - A solution to phishing

From: Simon Zuckerbraun <szucker () sst-pr-1 com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:12:39 -0500

I'd be really cautious about this one (ACUTrust). Two devastating attacks occur to me right off the top of my head, and that's not a good sign.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take this email as a statement of fact!! I have NOT experimented with ACUTrust and I have NO evidence to back up any claims that I make here. All I'm doing in this email is raising some concerns that occur to me after reading the content on the ACUTrust website.

First, refer to their whitepaper for details of what ACUTrust does: http://www.isblanket.com/cinfo/handouts/acutrust-whitepaper.pdf

Attacks as follows:

1. After the encrypted token is downloaded to the client's machine, it can be subjected to an offline dictionary attack against the user's passphrase. Only the correct passphrase will decrypt the token into a recognizable (low-entropy) image, so it is thereby possible for the cleartext to be recognized by automated process. (Granted, automatic recognition of the characters within the image may be harder, but it's not at all necessary for the attack.) An attacker would be able to determine a large percentage of users' passphrases in this way, starting with only knowledge of the usernames, and there does not seem to be any way for the server to defend itself or detect that an attack is underway.

2. The product doesn't seem that it can deliver the benefit it promises. The benefit of ACUTrust that the whitepaper cites is that it gives the end user a way to authenticate the website before he divulges his password. However, in practice, the user does not receive any indication of the website's authenticity until the user has already finished typing his password! A fraudulent website could simply be programmed to capture the characters that the user types in the password box. By the time the user realizes that the website is fraudulent (because he doesn't see the proper decrypted image), all the damage has already been done.

Plus, I wonder how they plan to guard against MITM (i.e., the fraudulent website, wishing to convince the user that it is genuine, could obtain a proper encrypted token by submitting the user's username to the genuine site. The fraudulent site could then serve up the token itself.) Any warning to the user that the token is not coming from the proper site would have to be delivered by client-side script/applet, and a fraudulent site would just have it own script/applet that bypassed the check.

Conclusions:
1. I doubt that ACUTrust can deliver what it promises.
2. Read my disclaimer above.

Simon

I have found a product that looks better then passmark.

It is called ACUTrust (www.acutrust.com) and it uses a visualized
token to authenticate the website.  it does not use cookies and does
not require any client based software.  I also think that this would
help a non technical person identify the sight.