WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: myspace hack

From: Jeff Robertson <Jeff.Robertson () DigitalInsight com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:55:06 -0400

The name "XSS" does not make sense in a lot of its applications.

What "Stored XSS" and "Reflected XSS" have in common is the injection of
script into places where script wasn't supposed to be. Having more than one
site be involved is not the factor. What has been discussed in this thread
seems to me like it falls under "Stored XSS".

It would make more sense if this was called "script injection", but for some
reason the whole family was named XSS.

Who the heck names these things, anyway?

Jeff Robertson
Manager of Web Application Security
Digital Insight