WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Apache mode_security

From: Stefano Di Paola <stefano.dipaola () wisec it>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 22:12:05 +0100

Sorry for my late in reply - busy week :) - but here i am.

Il giorno lun, 28-11-2005 alle 12:55 +0000, Ivan Ristic ha scritto:
Agreed. I will be adding explicit support for positive security to
ModSecurity in the next release. I have published my thoughts here
http://www.modsecurity.org/blog/archives/2005/11/positive_securi.html
so that we can discuss the issue.

I've read it, and i'm glad positive security will be the next main
feature for your mod_security. I think this will be an important
milestone.

The paper is very interesting, too!
In particular probabilistic grammar generation could be a good point for
positive security, IMHO.
I'll try to go deep into this...

To acquire reliable material for policy generation (and update) is the
most difficult part of the problem. I will be looking at the following
approaches: 1) designate an IP range as trusted, 2) require
administrators to manually review traffic before it is used in policy
generation, and 3)  use negative security to assign threat score to
each request using only requests with low scores for policy
generation. A combination of all three is probably the way forward.

Very interesting solution, i think!
Integrating Anti Spam techniques for scoring bad inputs is a really good
approach, IMHO...and - maybe - bayesian networks are the _real_ choice.
But implementing a good model is a hard job especially for neural
networks or genetics algorithms...
I've downloaded cpan's AI::NaiveBayes1 and Algorithm::NaiveBayes..
and i'll think about some way to go into it with them...

If you know about some good library for testing models, please, let me
know...

By the way , i wrote a mod_html_proxy based hmac signing for links on
the fly named Mod Anti Tamper:
Link: www.wisec.it/projects.php?id=3&lang=en

That's very interesting; it's one of the things missing in ModSecurity.

Thanks! It's just an idea i wrote down ..but i tought it could be
useful...

Regards,
Stefano

--