WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: New OWASP project - PCI Web Security Standards

From: "Lyal Collins" <lyal.collins () key2it com au>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 16:49:07 +1100

I guess I'd like to add, that since PCI is management oriented, and relies
on auditors NOT programmers to conduct audits and vulnerability assessments,
then the existing OWASP documents are sufficient for the purpose i.e.  get
company management involved in the security lifecycle that parallels the
sdlc.

PCI Audit costs enough now- adding $20k to the price for more detailed
code-level/function-level assessment won't add much to the outcome.

With many (not all) PCI audit firms being accounting oriented, generically
their core skills and corporate cultures are not up to system design and
coding issues, imho - I apologise to those who are up to the task, however.
Thus, there is a tendency to hire skills in per engagement, thus the outcome
has great variability across the board, and the lack of repeatability
detracts from the idea of an industry benchmark.

If we as a community of interest are going to create such documents, then
let them complement PCI and say something useful to the developer, not
repeat the requirements in subtly different ways that may lead to confusion.

lyal