WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Mambo, Coppermine and PHPBB Attacks

From: Yasuo Ohgaki <yohgaki () ohgaki net>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 03:54:30 +0900

Paul Laudanski wrote:
On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Tofik Suleymanov wrote:

From php.ini
"Whether to allow the treatment of URLs (like http:// or ftp://) as files."

In latest versions of php this option is set to secure mode of operation
by default (as far as i know):
allow_url_fopen = Off
This option prevents such type of attacks.

It's great if this failsafe feature works as expected.
Nobody can guarantee newbie php programmer make such hole in an app.

Just so that we can set the record straight I checked the manual at
php.net.

Reference: http://us2.php.net/filesystem

allow_url_fopen by default is set to On.

Even if allow_url_fopen=off, anyone can inject any code with POST and php://input
if app has such include/require bug.

This hole is opened when php:// type is supported by php stream. Since then,
allow_url_fopen=off cannot be used as failsafe feature to disable remote code
execution. This hole seems to be keep opened.

Besides, someone made allow_url_fopen php.ini setting from INI_ALL to INI_SYSTEM.
(i.e. only system level php.ini can change the setting) Some features such as
simplexml require allow_url_fopen=on.

These changes made allow_url_fopen=off useless.

--
Yasuo Ohgaki