WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Tools comparison and evaluation question (AppScan)

From: "Peine,Holger" <Holger.Peine () iese fraunhofer de>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 08:56:55 +0100

Serge,
(and whoever else on this list it may concern),

Without starting a flame war (hopefully) or marketing campaign
(another hopefully) can any one tell me abut their experience with the
software, what you find useful about it, what not, any annoyances,
missing functionality, etc.

A few months ago I completed a fairly extensive review of various
tools: AppScan (5.0 - note they offer 6.0 now), WebInspect, Acunetix,
Burp, WebScarab, Spike Proxy, and some minor remarks on a few other
tools.
I used two applications as benchmarks: WebGoat and a commercial
proprietary
application in production use by the customer that paid this evaluation
(sorry, NDA prevents me to say anything more about that). The report
totals
to about 170 pages.

BUT now comes the catch: It's in German. If you can read that, and
ideally
a few more people demand the same thing, I would go the trouble of
clearing
any mentionings of our customer from it and getting a publishing permit
from them (no idea how long that will take, could be days or months).

So, can you read German? Anyone else?

Second:
Can anyone recommend any simular type of software, preferably open
source (although not at all essential), and describe its performance,
usability and "usefulness" so to speak using AppScan as a reference
point.

Yes, that's also in that report.

Kind regards,
Holger Peine

--
Dr. Holger Peine, Security and Safety
Fraunhofer IESE, Fraunhofer-Platz 1, 67663 Kaiserslautern, Germany