WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: [WEB SECURITY] How to Create Secure Web Applications with Struts

From: Pilon Mntry <pilonmntry () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:52:59 -0800 (PST)

It may not be a big issue, but I think it's
important to understand
how choosing the web tier as a security provider
could impact the
extensibility of the app down the line.

Nice comment. In owasp guide it goes like this;

"...the web / presentation tier should validate for
web related issues, persistence layers should validate
for persistence issues such as SQL / HQL injection,
directory lookups should check for LDAP injection, and
so on."

However, with this approach when positive validation
(whitelist) is used, there probably will be
unnecessary double validation: one in presentation
layer and the other in business layer. But I guess,
that's one should pay for extensibility and security
sake.

And this is for data validation only. Authorization is
another issue...

And nice article by the way.

-pilon

--- Stephen de Vries <stephen () corsaire com> wrote:

Great article!

It did make me think of a particular architectural
issue which seems
to be cropping up more and more; that is, the impact
that
implementing security in the web tier has on the
future extensibility
of the app.

For applications that were designed as web apps and
will continue to
only be web apps for the rest of  their lives, this
shouldn't impact
much on the extensibility of the apps.  If the
validation rules or
access control requirements change, these can easily
be changed in
the web tier (and as you've shown Struts makes it
really easy,
because it's all declarative).
But if the application needs to be extensible, e.g.
must have a fat
client down the road or must expose web services,
then any security
implemented in the web tier would have to be
re-implemented in all
the other facades.  To be truly extensible
applications should
implement security functionality in the business
tier so that any
changes to the presentation technology (or new
technologies) don't
impact the core functionality.  E.g. for classic
J2EE technologies
this would mean implementing access control on the
EJB's themselves
rather than in the web tier.  This is also the
approach taken by the
Spring framework: both access control and input
validation are tied
to the beans that form the middle tier, not the
presentation.

It may not be a big issue, but I think it's
important to understand
how choosing the web tier as a security provider
could impact the
extensibility of the app down the line.

2p

Stephen

On 20 Mar 2006, at 02:44, bugtraq () cgisecurity net