WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Reminder: 2006 European OWASP AppSec Conference - May 30-31, 2006 near Brussels

From: "Dave Wichers" <conferences () owasp org>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 13:59:46 -0500

Dear Colleague,

OWASP is holding its annual European Application Security Conference May
30-31, 2006 at the Catholic University of Leuven (aka Katholieke
Universiteit Leuven, or K.U. Leuven) in Leuven, which is 25 km from
Brussels.

IMPORTANT DEADLINES: Early registration for the conference ends April 30.
The reduced rates for the conference hotels ends mid to late April depending
on the hotel.

AGENDA: This conference has dual tracks like last years' US conference. The
speakers and agenda is available on the OWASP website at
http://www.owasp.org/conferences/appsec2006europe.html. This year's speakers
include popular speakers from previous conferences like Dinis Cruz and Ivan
Ristic, but also includes many new speakers to the OWASP Conference,
including Andrew Van Der Stock (project lead for the OWASP Guide), Roger
Thornton (CTO of Fortify), Mike Andrews of Foundstone, and myself actually
(Dave Wichers - COO of Aspect Security).

NEW: We also have introduced for the first time two panels, which should
generate some lively debate. The first panel is on "Should companies be
emulating Microsoft's Security Development Lifecycle (SDL)?" and the 2nd is
on: "Are we winning the war?" - Are we actually getting a handle on
application security issues and making things better, or are things still
getting worse?

REGISTRATION DETAILS: Registration is open and the conference fee is 300
Euros for early registration and 350 Euros for registrations after April 30,
2006.

TUTORIALS - May 29, 2006:

OWASP has arranged to have two one-day tutorials the day prior to the
conference. These one day tutorials will be held at the university and are
only 600 Euros for conference attendees.

FOUNDATIONS OF APPLICATION SECURITY COURSE: This powerful hands on course
focuses on the most common web application security problems, including the
OWASP Top Ten. The course introduces and demonstrates hacking techniques,
illustrating how application vulnerabilities can be exploited so students
really understand how to avoid introducing such vulnerabilities into their
code.

WEB SERVICES and XML SECURITY: The movement towards Web Services and Service
Oriented architecture (SOA) paradigms requires new security paradigms to
deal with new risks posed by these architectures. This session takes a
pragmatic approach towards identifying Web Services security risks and
selecting and applying countermeasures to the application, code, web
servers, databases, application, and identity servers and related software.

More details on these training courses are available at:
http://www.owasp.org/conferences/appsec2006europe/training.html

EVENING SOCIAL EVENT - May 30, 2006: The traditional evening dinner/social
event is being held at the nearby Faculty Club. The Faculty club is a
restaurant annex conference centre located in a medieval part of Leuven.
We can walk there from the conference, and will have a social hour followed
by a 3-course dinner. Dinner is typically followed by drinks nearby. The
dinner event is 40 Euros.

HOTELS - We have arranged for conference rates at nearby hotels. More
information is available at:
http://www.owasp.org/conferences/appsec2006europe/accommodations.html. Many
of these rates expire mid to late April, so please book early.

If you know others that would be interested in attending this OWASP
conference, please forward them this email and let them know about this
opportunity.

Please contact me with any questions. Looking forward to seeing you there!

Thanks, Dave

Dave Wichers, OWASP Conferences Chair
The OWASP Foundation
http://www.owasp.org