WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: [WEB SECURITY] SSL does not = a secure website

From: Bill Pennington <bill () whitehatsec com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:24:12 -0800

I recently ran into the "click on a virtual keyboard" implementation. This one was all JavaScript based and worked by sending the coordinates back to the server. It was not any more secure than a form-based password since the password was basically sent in a URL string just in the form of coordinates. Replay of the coordinates worked just fine. I think this product was aimed at stopping the "Enter your username and password" type fishing attacks.

Now it is true SSL would stop some type of network sniffer from seeing this traffic however I think it would be trivial for a trojan to hook into the IE object and just pull click events out from there. I mean once you can install software on your target there is not much that can't be done so this are simply a bump in the road from what I have been able to determine.