WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: [WEB SECURITY] Web Hacking Incident: PayPal Phishing Site Exploits Google XSS Vulnerability

From: "dpw" <dainw () fsr com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:06:40 -0800

I am surely missing something here. This seems like a pretty involved phish,
but the initial hook doesn't seem to be baited very well.

Why would anyone think a link that goes to Google would be a legitimate way
to go to PayPal? Why would this be different than leveraging any redirect
system? Why is this noteworthy?

Now, if PayPal had some sort of reusable 404 redirection mechanism, at least
the initial link would appear to go to Paypal, but it sure seems to me that
going to Google first is pointless. Maybe the phisher is tracking the
effectiveness of the lure by watching the referrer?

Dain White

Senior Developer / Webmaster
First Step Internet - www.fsr.com
208-882-8869 ext. 440