WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Is logoff feature necessary

From: "Rod Divilbiss" <rod () rodsdot com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 19:54:47 -0500

I am a little confused about the comments regarding a "standard" regarding
logging off.  Web application developers can only dream about standards in
any event.  What we have are recommendations not standards. A quick
examination will reveal that the developers of web browsers make decisions
to support, ignore, or even add proprietary extensions to the W3C
recommendations.

Any semi-literate programmer can make a browser which ignores any and all
recommendations from the W3C. Therefore, relying on the browser to implement
any recommendation (or "standard") would be a poor application programming
choice.

Creating a method to grant or deny a browser client access to portions of a
web based application based on if the client is authenticated and authorized
(logged on) or has requested termination (logged off) must be accomplished
by the application, not the browser.

In that HTTP is a connectionless protocol, any method used will be dependent
in a large part on how the application maintains session state. Any state
management method which relies on the browser doing something (accepting a
cookie) or not doing something (not caching a page) will not be 100%
reliable in that the application has no control over the client.

If the state mechanism requires a token to be saved on the client side, you
can not assume any instruction directed at the browser will be obeyed by the
browser. E.g. the browser can ignore instructions not to cache a page and
can ignore instructions to delete a session cookie.

All you can do is attempt to identify the client browser using a client side
token. Only the web application itself can decide if the state of the client
identified by the client side token is currently logged on or logged off.

As long as you do not use client side methods to determine the state of
"logged on" or "logged off" the log off functionality is trivial. No
standard browser behavior can be trusted in this regard.

Regards,
Rod