WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Comparison report on web app security scanners

From: Bogdan Calin <bogdan () acunetix com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 17:10:21 +0300

Hello,

A few days ago Dr. Holger Peine published a "Comparison report on web app security scanners".

For this report he used two web applications: one of them is WebGoat and the other one is a proprietary application which is not public.

I don't know anything about this proprietary application but I would like to say that WebGoat is not a good test case for evaluating web scanners.

WebGoat is using server side state variables to track user actions. For example, if you want to test the String SQL injection flaw you first need to navigate to the "String SQL injection" section in order to set the proper state of the application.

If the application is not in the proper state, the SQL injection test will not work. The application will just ignore your inputs.

An automated scanner cannot guess this application behavior, and unless you optimize your scanner for this particular application it will not be able to scan it properly.

When the scanner has finished discovering the site structure, WebGoat will be in some unknown state. All tests will be performed while WebGoat is in this state.

This is not a common implementation.

Because we are offering free audits, we have audited more than 1,000 websites and didn't encountered this kind of implementation.

WebGoat is great for learning about web security flaws but I don't think it should be used as a test case for web security scanners.

Bogdan Calin
Acunetix Ltd. - www.acunetix.com
Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner