WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Hardcoded Database IP in ASP

From: PCSC Information Services <info () pcsage biz>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 19:55:38 -0400

Hi Darryl,

Have you considered having the DB server use a non-routable protocol that is available only on your internal network? Given that many databases can operate in many different protocol/network environments, you might consider it advantageous to limit all connections to it to internally authenticated machines only (i.e. the machines authenticate using a mechanism that is only available for internal connections) This might be a good way to secure your dbs and db servers. If this database is very sensitive (i.e. personally identifiable metrics) having a separate connection might prove most efficacious in your efforts to secure this data. I understand that .asp has more than one connection method so this shouldn't prove beyond your scope.

Sincerely,

Sean Swayze
PCSInformation Services
info () pcsage biz