WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Files upload security considerations

From: Hemil <hemil () net-square com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 19:15:55 +0530

Hi,
I think everyone misses the threat to the sever from viruses and warms. You should keep your server up to date to protect from viruses and you should also check fr uploaded files for viruses and warms. If it is Microsoft Office document, you should also check fr the embedded macros.

---Hemil
[Net-square]
c0redump () ackers org uk wrote:
Hi Alexander,

There are huge security implications of allowing users to upload to a web server. Off the top of my head I'm thinking of things like an evil user being able to use a phpshell via an evil .php page. The list is endless.

However, here are a few links you may find interesting.

http://www.acunetix.com/websitesecurity/php-security-4.htm
http://www.developershome.com/wap/wapUpload/wap_upload.asp?page=security

Again, it depends on whether you're running IIS or Apache as to the seriousness of the security risk.

Good luck.

Tom

----- Original Message ----- From: Alexander Berezhnoy