WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Next Generation of Browsers

From: Henry Troup <htroup () acm org>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 11:32:52 -0500

If I read MS's XAML stuff right, there is a possibility there.  AKA WPF/E - see
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/bb187358.aspx and FAQ linked from there:

[quote]

Microsoft "WPF/E" is the next-generation Web platform from Microsoft for delivering visually stunning and interactive
user experiences on the Web and beyond. Supporting multiple operating systems (Windows and Macintosh), Microsoft
"WPF/E" combines 2D animation, video, and audio within a compact yet flexible platform. By embracing XML-based
presentation with in-line XAML, AJAX-based applications such as those based on ASP.NET AJAX can be organically upgraded
to take advantage of "WPF/E" in a way that breaks rich Web-based applications out of the proprietary "black box" they
exist in today.
[/quote]

For "black box" read "sandbox"?  The distinction between "rich" and "risky" could be hard to see ... for a security
cynic, like myself.

Henry Troup
--
Henry Troup
htroup () acm org

 On Thu Feb  1 10:15 , "Mark Curphey"  sent:

I read an article in a business magazine about software as a service. I
forget the magazine or I would quote it. In the article the author spoke
about the next generation of browsers that would allow users to take web
applications and their data off-line.

Is this a case of a business writer talking tech or does anyone have any
good articles / blogs / pointers to good material?