WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Next Generation of Browsers

From: Aman Raheja <araheja () techquotes com>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 01:14:58 -0600

Though all of this would be great (rich) user experience, not without
limitations.
Do you want the users to be able to take any kind of information to the
desktop (may be it has sensitive information) and they leave it there
for an attacker to gain access and you all know the consequences !
I am just trying to look this great advancement from a different point
of view, to get some more discussion going on the security aspect.

Thank you
Aman

Andre Ludwig wrote:
http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Apollo

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Apollo:developerfaq

Might be what he is talking about.

*****SNIP*****
What is Apollo?

Apollo is the code name for a cross-operating system runtime being
developed by Adobe that allows developers to leverage their existing
web development skills (Flash, Flex, HTML, JavaScript, Ajax) to build
and deploy Rich Internet Applications (RIAs) to the desktop.
What type of applications does Apollo target?

While a number of more traditional desktop applications can be built
and targeted at the Apollo runtime, Apollo is targeted at making it
easy to develop and deploy Rich Internet Applications to the desktop.

It is this use case, deploying RIAs to the desktop, which is driving
the feature set for Apollo 1.0.
What types of developers is Apollo targeting?

Apollo is targeted at developers who are currently leveraging web
technologies, such as Flash, Flex, HTML, JavaScript and Ajax
techniques to build and deploy Rich Internet Applications.
Is Apollo free (as in beer)?

Yes. The Apollo runtime will be free (similar to the Flash Player and
Adobe Reader).

Andre