WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: [WEB SECURITY] Re: [Webappsec] PCI 6.6 Questions

From: "James Landis" <jcl24 () cornell edu>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 10:34:18 -0400

The qualified ASV list below is not valid for the new PCI reqs; there
is a separate certification process to make the list for source
review.

There has already been a ton of great discussion on WAF vs. source
assessment, but there are a few pieces missing I'd like to throw on
the fire:

1) Expect the PCI reqs to say AND instead of OR at some point down the
road; an investment in either category is not likely to be wasted
unless of course it is spent with a vendor/consultant that is not
giving you what you paid for.

2) WAFs can do a lot of good things at runtime that even perfectly
secure static code can't; I've been harping on the "Web Application
IPS" angle for a while now, especially with behavior-based signatures.
No one is seriously playing in this space, but it's the natural
progression, just as things evolved from FW to IDS to IPS on the
network side. IPS at the app layer has a number of other advantages
compared to NIPS and significant security improvement can be gained
very quickly with a minimal set of rules. $billions to the first
player to own this market - I'd recommend you to every one of my
customers.

-j