WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Defining scope of web application pentest

From: Paul Johnston <paj () pajhome org uk>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 14:55:50 +0000

Hi,

In terms of the web application, first be sure to clarify exactly what you're covering. Just the user facing app? or is there an administration section as well? Often there can be lots of hidden parts of a site, e.g. for online banking there can be many different account types supported - they need to give you credentials which cover all the types that are in scope.

There are a few practical questions:
1) Black box application test, or code review?
I wouldn't recommend a purely black box test - at least give the testers credentials, and some design info.
2) Test against development or live?
Testing against a pre-production environment is usually best.
3) Is it just technical app testing, or does it include things like the testers social engineering your help desk? This is more an "ass covering" question than anything; not expecting client to want social engineering.

In terms of sizing, I've generally found asking for numbers of dynamic pages and forms is a bit futile; I rarely get accurate answers, and they have limited utility. I'm fortunate, working in a in-house team without cross-charge - accurate estimates are not required. I simply rate jobs as little (2 days) or big (5 days) and if I don't finish, just ask for more time. If you need an accurate estimate the best approach is to get credentials and have a look round the application yourself.

In terms of reviewing the web server, there's a whole lot here:
Patch / vulnerability scan of the OS (like Nessus/Foundstone)
Config review of web server
Config review of application server

Quite often organisations will already have a decent setup for patch scanning all their servers, so you can skip the first one. One important point: while app scanning on pre-prod is usually ok (because code deployments tend to be well controlled), infrastructure type scanning is usually best done on live, unless you're happy with their controls to ensure consistent configuration between pre-prod and live.

Quality scoping is a mix of technical knowledge, understanding the client's business, and (for consultancies) sales. If you get the opportunity, shadow someone experienced doing a scoping meeting.

Paul

Vishal Garg wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone please tell what needs to be considered while defining the scope of a web application penetration test. Here I am concerned only about the web application and the web server that would exclude every other bit related to the infrastructure (such as firewall or a proxy etc). Also how do we calculate the effort required to test a web application. The things which I think may be considered are the number of static and dynamic pages and types of users involved etc. But what else can be considered?

Any inputs would be highly appreciated.

Cheers
Vishal

Sponsored by: Watchfire Methodologies & Tools for Web Application Security Assessment With the rapid rise in the number and types of security threats, web application security assessments should be considered a crucial phase in the development of any web application. What methodology should be followed? What tools can accelerate the assessment process? Download this Whitepaper today!
https://www.watchfire.com/securearea/whitepapers.aspx?id=70170000000940F