WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: OpenID and the web

From: baldr <baldr.theinnocent () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 22:29:59 +0000

Pete Jansson Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 5:01 PM
Additionally, there would be nothing to prevent a user from having
multiple OpenIDs.  OpenID providers should have different levels of
service with different authentication strengths -- from
username/password to tokens, or whatever.  Then the user can use their
choice of OpenID with a particular account, making the choice based on
the strength of authentication vs. the risk of the account. (I'm not
sure if I really care whether someone gets my Slashdot comment
account, but I would care about them having my Amazon One-Click
account [if I weren't too paranoid to One-Click].)
I completly agree here openID as a protocol can support varying levels
of security including security tokens & pki.  currently most
implmentations are for services where as said above people dont really
care.  we accept that these services are not as secure as our bank.

personly i think openID is perfect for the use it provides.  with a
password system it isn't that secure, its online and gives access to
many accounts; however they are all accounts you dont care about.  if
it where a SSO for my banks i would expect to be using a certificate
but this wouldn't exclude openID.

Well thats my two pence...  As where on the subject i was curious what
people thought about shibboleth.  about 15 countries have adopted it
for either education or health* as an SSO to many online journals.
what do people feel are the security pros/cons here

*https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/SHIB/ShibbolethFederations