WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: OpenID and the web

From: "Jeremiah Cornelius" <jeremiah () nur net>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:23:44 -0700

I think that OpenID is concerned more with the problem of "Federating" identity - which is corollary to SSO - but not necessarily the same Thing.

Microsoft tried web SSO with Passport. It was viewed as proprietary, and requiring full trust in Microsoft. The new Microsoft effort is around CardSpace, a WSsecurity - oriented framework and client API, extensible to consume SAML, etc. This is a federation play, that can aggregate signon and authorizations.

That the OpenID tent seems big enough to accommodate CardSpace is indication that federation of ID is more than just SSO.

JC